May is National Stroke Awareness Month. Here are some surprising facts about strokes:
- Stroke kills twice as many women as breast cancer does every year. Learn more at www.stroke.org/awareness.
- Stroke and heart disease account for one in four deaths among Hispanic men and one in three deaths among Hispanic women. Learn more at www.stroke.org/awareness.
- Stroke affects people of all ages. Get prevention tips and learn how to recognize warning signs at www.stroke.org/SYMP.
- High blood pressure is a leading risk factor for stroke. Yet nearly 60 million people in the U.S. have high blood pressure and almost a third don’t know they have it! Learn tips for controlling this risk factor at www.stroke.org/risk.
- 425,000 women suffer from a stroke each year—55,000 more than men. Learn more at www.stroke.org/awareness.